*Disclaimer! I did not create this tag, but I can’t remember where I found it or who initially created it.
1) What is the working title of your book?
At the moment, the title is Clemency. I really like it, so I think that that will probably stay the title, but who knows?
2) Where did the idea come from for your book?
My obsession with the French revolution has a lot to do with it, I’d say. I was reading about the Cordeliers (they were a political party during the French revolution) and I read that they had all sorts of people in their party and were, as a matter of fact, one of the most open, welcoming parties of the time. This gave me the idea of writing about a female journalist during the time of the French revolution who worked with the Cordeliers faction. The rest kind of just fell into place.
3) What genre does your book fall under?
4) Which actors would you choose to play in your movie rendition?
Oh boy… this might get a little out of hand… I’m going to make a list:
- Danaé Thayer (the protagonist)- Danielle Erin Rhodes. Seriously. Her Fantine looks just like I pictured Danaé. Add a little dirt and some rags and she’d be absolutely perfect. I also like the idea of Emmi Christensson as Danaé.
- Julien Descoteaux- Er… maybe Toby Joch? He kind of makes me think of Julien, but I don’t know…. maybe Bradley James? Just give him darker hair and hazel tinted contacts and I think that he’d be almost perfect.
- Rosaire Lévesque- I like the idea of Rosaire being played by Chris Durling. I think that he’d be pretty great.
- Bastien Deniaud- I feel like Aaron Tveit could be a pretty great Bastien. I also kind of like the idea of Torrance Coombs playing Bastien. Maybe that’s just because he plays Bash on Reign.
5) What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
In an era where the world has seemingly gone insane and vengeance is on the minds of many, the Cordeliers may find themselves fighting only to find themselves staring down into a basket with a blade hovering over their necks, ready to snap down and put an end to all of their hopes and dreams.
6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Probably self-published, but we’ll see!
7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
I haven’t technically started writing it yet, but the plan is for it to be done in one month! (We’ll see how that goes…)
8) What other books would you compare this story to?
Whew… I don’t know… Susanne Dunlap books, I suppose.
9) Who or what inspired you to write the book?
I’d say that Hillary Mantel, Susanne Dunlap, and Camille Desmoulins were large inspirations to me when I came up with this idea.
10) What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
There’s a guillotine… if you’re into that sort of thing. I think that if you like strong female protagonists, themes of love and friendship, and all that jazz, you might like this book!