This tag was created by Jay G on YouTube. Her video is linked here.
1. January (GARNET): Associated with warding off negative forces and dark energies – Name a book with the darkest/evilest character you can think of.
First character that comes to mind is Sebastian/Jonathan Morgenstern from The Mortal Instruments. I’m pretty sure that there are a lot more evil characters than him, but… well, he’s the first one that comes to mind.
2. February (AMETHYST): Purple is associated with royalty – Name a book with regal qualities.
I’d like to say Les Misérables just for the irony of that, but I won’t. I think that I’m going to go with The Picture of Dorian Gray. I’m not sure why. I just feel like the idea of it is pretty… regal.
3. March (AQUAMARINE): Washed out – Name a ‘wishy-washy’ character, a character who is not strong or a follower
I would say Lucien from ACOTAR. *Spoilers for ACOMAF following…* I feel like he doesn’t really want anything to do with Tamlin’s plan but he follows along with it anyways. He is, in my opinion, the epitome of a “wishy-washy” character. *End of spoilers*
4. April (DIAMOND): A diamond in the rough – Name a book that you loved but is not well known
There are so many that could fall under this category. I feel like a lot of classics, despite being well-known are not well-read and well-known for their content but rather for their titles and perhaps brief themes. So I’m going to make a list of my favorite “underated” books:
- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
- Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
- The Prophecy of the Sisters Trilogy by Michelle Zink
- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
- Okay, this one is well-known. But I don’t think that many people have really read it. And it’s a book that definitely deserves a little more credit.
- Fire by Night by Lynn Austen
- Anastasia’s Secret by Susanne Dunlap
- In the Shadow of the Lamp by Susanne Dunlap
- A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel
5. May (EMERALD): Said to balance energy – Name two characters who balance each other well
Ted Wilson and Phoebe Bigelow from Fire by Night by Lynn Austen and Gifford and Jane from My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows, and Cynthia Hand.
6. June (PEARL): Associated with loyalty – Name a character who is loyal to the end
I’d say Ted Wilson from Fire by Night but I already used him in this tag so I’ll go with Sydney Carton from A Tale of Two Cities. If you’ve read it, you’ll know what I mean.
7. July (RUBY): Blood red – Name a book that made your blood boil, one that made you angry
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Not that the book was bad. In fact I love this book. But he ignorance of the characters in the society that he created made me so angry…
Another book that could fit this question is A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel. Again, I love this book. But I just got really angry at what Robespierre did throughout the Revolution.
8. August (PERIDOT): Pale green (it pales in comparison to other gems) – Name a supporting character who you like better than the main character
Bree Randall and Roger Wakefield from the Outlander series. I just can’t stand Claire and Jamie but I’m not sure why. I guess that they annoy me.
9. September (SAPPHIRE): Blue like the ocean which is calming – Name a book that had a calming effect on you
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han was a really easy, quick read and I suppose that it had a certain calming effect on me.
10. October (OPAL): Iridescent – Name an iridescent book, this can be a book with a beautiful cover (Shiny? Lots of color?) or you can base it off of a character (Quirky? Colorful?)
For a book cover, I’d say The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye. For a character I’d probably have to say G(a)linda from Wicked by Gregory Maquire.
11. November (TOPAZ): Associated with resilience – Name a books with a character who rises to the top in a time of adversity
Phoebe Bigelow from Fire by Night by Lynn Austen. I can’t think of a better example.
12. December (BLUE ZIRCON): Associated with friendship – Name a book with a friendship you want to be apart of
I’ve used Phoebe and Ted already but I have to use them again. Because I’d love to be friends with them.