This post was originally created by The Perpetual Page Turner. Original blogpost will be linked here.
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
· I’m going to have to say Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly. I fell in love with that book.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
· Well… this was actually technically a 2017 read but I started it in 2016 so I’ll count it. That would have to be Just One Day by Gayle Forman.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
· I was really pleasantly surprised by Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I’d heard great things about it but I wasn’t sure if it would be my type of book. Boy, was I wrong.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
· The book that best fits here is actually not a book that I read this year. I did, however, get one of my friends to read The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare and I was pretty proud of myself because we usually have very different reading tastes and I didn’t expect him to listen to my recommendation.
· I did constantly recommend My Lady Jane to people this year and I actually got my sister to read it! She really enjoyed it.
5. Best series you started in 2016?
· I’d have to say The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. I’ve only read Shadow and Bone but I loved it!
· I also really liked The Agency trilogy by Y.S. Lee.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
· I’m going to go with Rainbow Rowell. I didn’t first hear about her this year but it was the first time I’d read any of her books. I haven’t read a book from her that I disliked.
· I also might add Susanne Dunlap to this list. Love her books.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
· I think that I’m going to have to say Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution by Simon Schama. I am a history person—I read a lot of historical books and such—but I did not expect to like this book nearly as much as I did.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
· I think that I’ll have to say My Lady Jane by Jodi Meadows, Brodi Ashton, and Cynthia Hand. It was such a wonderful book. Definitely one of my favorites of this year.
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
· Probably all of the books from The Agency trilogy by Y.S. Lee. I miss those characters way too much.
· And Anastasia’s Secret from Susanne Dunlap. Really fun read.
· And Fire By Night by Lynn Austen.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
· I’m going to say Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. The cover art was amazing.
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
· James Easton from The Agency trilogy by Y.S. Lee. He’s definitely my new favorite character.
· Ted Wilson from Fire By Night by Lynn Austen. I don’t really know what more to say other than the fact that you will fall in love with Ted.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
· I thought that Fire By Night by Lynn Austen was really beautifully written.
13. Most Thought-Provoking / Life-Changing Book of 2016?
· The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
· Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
· “They think that gaining freedom is like growing up. You have to suffer.” – Camille Desmoulins (technically not from a book but I did read it in a book).
16. Book That Shocked You The Most
· Oh, wow… I don’t know. I wasn’t really shocked by anything I read this year. I might go ahead and say Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly. I was surprised by the direction the story took.
17. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
· Jane and Gifford (G) from My Lady Jane.
18. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
· I think that I’m going to go with Edward and Jane from My Lady Jane.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
· A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
20. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
· A Court of Thorns and Roses and A Court of Mist and Fury. The more I think about them I’m just kind of “meh”.
21. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
· James Easton from The Agency Trilogy. And… this is going to sound really weird but… the Darkling from The Grisha Trilogy.
22. Best 2016 debut you read?
· The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye
23. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
· I’ll have to hand this one to Sarah J. Maas’s ACOTAR series. The world building is incredible.
24. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
· My Lady Jane for sure.
25. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
· A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Oh, and Fire By Night by Lynn Austen. Goodness’s sakes that book made me cry like a baby.
26. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
· I’m assuming that this means of books that were published this year. So I’m going to say The Darkest Hour by Caroline Tung Richmond. I’m 98% sure that it was published this year and I don’t think that it’s gotten nearly enough attention.
27. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
· Fire By Night by Lynn Austen. I’m still not over that book.
28. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
· Vicious by V.E. Schwab.
29. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
· Vicious by V.E. Schwab. Gahhhhh… it was so good but the characters made me so mad.